Technical specie specifications for Samoan Mahogany / Taun from Fantastic Floor - Discount Exotic and Domestic Hardwood Flooring, Prefinished Solid Flooring, Unfinished Solid Flooring and Engineered Flooring.
Samoan Mahogany Hardwood Flooring
- Scientific Name, Other Names: Asian Mahogany, Meranti, Lauan, Keruing, Merpauh
- Janka Hardness: 1,400 pounds
- Strength (MOR): 15,374 psi
- Stiffness (MOE): 2,031 1000 psi
- Density (KG/m3): 700
- Tangential Shrinkage: 5.6 %
- Radial Shrinkage: 3.4 %
- Tree Characteristics:
- Geographic Area: Occurs in low-lying coastal and riverine areas from Sri Lanka through SE Asia, Papua New Guinea to the Solomons and Samoa.
- Color: Heartwood varies from pink-brown to red-brown, darkening with age. Sapwood is pale to pink buff and not always demarcated from heartwood.
- Grain: Straight grained, occasionally interlocked.
- Texture: Texture is moderately coarse.
- Drying Characteristics:
- Working Characteristics: Saws and turns easily with only a moderate blunting effect on cutting edges. It is readily bored and holds nails and screws well. Can be polished to a smooth, high finish. Takes paints and stains well.
- Durability Rating:
- Applications: Internal flooring, cladding, fascia and bargeboards, cabinetwork, carving, turnery, boat building, handles, cooperage.
Other Fantastic Species of Wood