Technical specie specifications for Red Oak from Fantastic Floor - Discount Exotic and Domestic Hardwood Flooring, Prefinished Solid Flooring, Unfinished Solid Flooring and Engineered Flooring.
Red Oak Hardwood Flooring
- Scientific Name, Other Names: Quercus spp, American red oak, Black oak, Canadian red oak, Gray oak, Northern red oak, Southern red oak, Scarlet oak, Spanish oak
- Description: Red Oak flooring features red-tinged brown heartwood and white tones that create a subtle but resonant contrast that makes this wood uniquely enjoyable. A consistent grain adds to the grace of the overall presentation of a Red Oak floor. All of these elements make Red Oak a colorfully multifaceted yet understated beauty that, much like White Oak, is aesthetically complementary to any style of home, be it modern or rustic. Red Oak floors have long been a beloved domestic standard in the United States, while the Red Oak wood itself has also served as the industry standard of hardness with a Janka hardness rating of 1,290. With its subtle red tones, rooms floored with Red Oak hardwood will feel warmer without the wood taking center stage. This allows other decorative elements such as fine furniture or artwork to stand out while being complemented by the beautiful Red Oak flooring underfoot.
- Janka Hardness: 1,290 pounds
- Strength (MOR): 14,300 psi
- Stiffness (MOE): 1,850 1000 psi
- Density (KG/m3): 780
- Tangential Shrinkage: 8.6 %
- Radial Shrinkage: 4.0 %
- About: Our Red Oak is available exclusively in the engineered format. The boards are 1/2" thick with 3-5" widths available with 1-4' random lengths. Many of our engineered products are FSC certified.
- Family: Fagaceae
- Tree Characteristics: Red Oak can reach a height of 125 feet with a large diameter.
- Geographic Area: Austria, Canada, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Iran, Slovakia, United Kingdom, and the United States.
- Color: Reddish-brown with light brown sapwood.
- Photosensitivity: Red Oak is nearly unaffected by light exposure
- Luster: Low luster
- Grain: Straight grained
- Texture: Medium to fine
- Drying Characteristics: Moderate movement
- Working Characteristics: Rated as easy to work, gluing and holding fasteners exceptionally well. It can split when nailed unless predrilled. It is rated as finishing well, but shrinks considerably.
- Durability Rating: Rated as slightly resistant to heartwood decay.
- Applications: Ships, railroad crossties, timber bridges, tannin dyes, fuel wood, hardwood dimensions and flooring, furniture, veneer, plywood, barrels, kegs, casks, truck and trailer beds, mining timbers, containers, pallets, caskets, boxes, paneling, flooring.
Other Fantastic Species of Wood