Technical specie specifications for Patagonian Rosewood from Fantastic Floor - Discount Exotic and Domestic Hardwood Flooring, Prefinished Solid Flooring, Unfinished Solid Flooring and Engineered Flooring.
Patagonian Rosewood Hardwood Flooring
- Scientific Name, Other Names: Anadenanthera colubrina, Kurupay, Patagonian Rosewood, Curupau
- Description: Patagonian Rosewood flooring, originating in the forests of Paraguay, is also known as Curupau. Patagonion Rosewood is a very appealing wood that is highly compatible with any home design or color scheme. This versatility comes from the fact that Patagonian Rosewoods's pale pink and yellow tones are sharply distinguished from its dark brown shades and occasional black streaking, creating a pleasing contrast that is complemented by the hardwood's crossed grain and creates a beautiful combination of rich browns and yellows. Patagonian Rosewood hardwood flooring also has astonishing durability. The wood's Janka hardness rating 3,840, makes Patagonian Rosewood floors particularly resilient against wear and tear and impacts. With its more dramatic shades and striping, the feel of a Patagonian Rosewood floor is quite distinct from its creamy brown and significantly mellower cousin, Kurupayra.
- Janka Hardness: 3,840 pounds
- Strength (MOR): 23,780 psi
- Stiffness (MOE): 2,730 1000 psi
- Density (KG/m3): 1,020
- Tangential Shrinkage: 8.4 %
- Radial Shrinkage: 4.8 %
- About: Patagonian Rosewood flooring is used in medium and high-end residential and commercial applications for a dramatically elegant floor. It works well in rustic homes as well as in contemporary structures. Fantastic Floor offers Patagonian Rosewood hardwood flooring from 1/2" to 3/4" thick, 3" to 5" wide, with lengths up to 7'. Patagonian Rosewood hardwood flooring is available prefinished and unfinished in both solid and engineered flooring formats.
- Family: Leguminosae
- Tree Characteristics: The Patagonian Rosewood tree can reach a height of 80 feet. The diameter of its trunk is typically 2 to 3 feet.
- Geographic Area: Patagonian Rosewood trees grow in Argentina as well as subtropical and dry forests of Paraguay and Brazil.
- Color: Patagonian Rosewood has pale brown heartwood, changing to reddish-brown with black streaks upon exposure. Patagonian Rosewood's sapwood is yellowish brown or light pink.
- Photosensitivity: Patagonian Rosewood will darken dramatically upon prolonged exposure to light. This color change will occur in Prefinished and Unfinished flooring formats. In solid and engineered hardwood.
- Luster: Patagonian Rosewood is naturally lustrous. Patagonian Rosewood hardwood flooring is typically finished to a Satin or Semi-gloss sheen.
- Grain: Patagonian Rosewood has irregular and/or interlocked graining.
- Texture: Patagonian Rosewood has a fine and uniform texture. Patagonian Rosewood flooring is typically finished to a smooth surface.
- Drying Characteristics: Patagonian Rosewood dries slowly with minimal warping, but checking often occurs during kiln drying. It is best to acclimate engineered Patagonian Rosewood flooring for 1 week and solid Patagonian Rosewood flooring for 2 weeks prior to installation.
- Working Characteristics: Patagonian Rosewood can be difficult to work as a result of hardness, severely blunting cutting edges. Planing requires a cutting angle of 10 - 15 degrees in order to avoid tearing the wood's irregular grain. It is best to keep the relative humidity levels in the home between 35% and 50% before, during, and after installing Patagonian Rosewood hardwood flooring.
- Durability Rating: Patagonian Rosewood flooring is extremely durable and resists denting and traffic wear quite well. Patagonian Rosewood is harder than many North American species because of its density and is relatively stable. Patagonian Rosewood flooring is very heavy, weighing ~ 3.5lbs per square foot.
- Applications: Patagonian Rosewood hardwood flooring, exterior construction, furniture, and turned objects. Please note, unfinished Patagonian Rosewood flooring is sold in open, strapped bundles and not sold in boxes. Prefinished solid Patagonian Rosewood flooring and prefinished engineered Patagonian Rosewood flooring are sold in boxes. Patagonian Rosewood hardwood flooring must be purchased in full bundles or boxes.
Other Fantastic Species of Wood