Technical specie specifications for Mozambique from Fantastic Floor - Discount Exotic and Domestic Hardwood Flooring, Prefinished Solid Flooring, Unfinished Solid Flooring and Engineered Flooring.
Mozambique Hardwood Flooring
- Scientific Name, Other Names: Ovangkol, Amazique, Amazoue, Shedua
- Description: Varying shades of yellowish to reddish brown body with darker brown, gray, or black stripes. Sapwood is a pale yellow. Commonly seen with a curly or rippled grain pattern.
- Janka Hardness: 1,155 pounds
- Strength (MOR): 18,200 psi
- Stiffness (MOE): 2,423 1000 psi
- Density (KG/m3): 0
- Tangential Shrinkage: 8.2 %
- Radial Shrinkage: 4.5 %
- Tree Characteristics: 100-150 ft. tall and 3-5 ft. trunk diameter
- Geographic Area: Tropical West Africa
- Color: Heartwood has varying shades of yellowish to reddish brown body with darker brown, gray, or black stripes. Sapwood is a pale yellow.
- Luster: Medium
- Grain: Curly or rippled grain pattern.
- Texture: Medium
- Drying Characteristics:
- Working Characteristics: Overall a fairly easy wood to work, though Mozambique contains silica and can therefore dull cutters prematurely. Also, if the grain is interlocked, or if there is other figure present in the wood, planing and other machining operations may be troublesome and cause tearout. Turns, glues and finishes well.
- Durability Rating: Moderately durable with good resistance to insect attack
- Applications: Furniture, veneer, cabinetry, turned objects, musical instruments and flooring
Other Fantastic Species of Wood