Technical specie specifications for Mango Wood from Fantastic Floor - Discount Exotic and Domestic Hardwood Flooring, Prefinished Solid Flooring, Unfinished Solid Flooring and Engineered Flooring.
Mango Wood Hardwood Flooring
- Scientific Name, Other Names: Mangifera Indica, Swintonia, Schwenkii
- Description: If you are looking for a unique type of wood flooring that is a "green" product, consider mango wood. Mango wood is a fast-growing, sustainable wood, with over 500 different varieties grown for its juicy fruit. However, once the tree grows over 90 feet, it will cease to produce fruit. The grower can make extra money by cutting down the tree and selling the wood. A mango seedling can grow up to 5 feet tall in a year, and mango trees can live for 100 years.
- Janka Hardness: 1,300 pounds
- Strength (MOR): 0 psi
- Stiffness (MOE): 0 1000 psi
- Density (KG/m3): 0
- Tangential Shrinkage: 0.0 %
- Radial Shrinkage: 0.0 %
- Family: Anacardiaceae
- Tree Characteristics: The mango tree is erect 60 to 100 feet on average and the diameter ranges from 3-5 feet.
- Geographic Area: Tropical Asia and Oceania
- Color: Because of the spalting that is commonly present, Mango's heartwood and sapwood can be a kaleidoscope of colors. Most common are light and dark brown, while other colors such as yellow and streaks of pink and/or black can also occur.
- Luster: Low
- Grain: Because of the different varieties of Mango Wood, there will be different grains from a fiddle-back grain to a jagged grain to a curly grain.
- Texture: Fine to Medium
- Drying Characteristics:
- Working Characteristics:
- Durability Rating: susceptible to both fungal and insect attack.
- Applications: Furniture, Flooring, Veneer, Plywood, and Turnery. It's also a premium wood used for high-end ukuleles made in Hawaii.
Other Fantastic Species of Wood