Technical specie specifications for Lyptus from Fantastic Floor - Discount Exotic and Domestic Hardwood Flooring, Prefinished Solid Flooring, Unfinished Solid Flooring and Engineered Flooring.
Lyptus Hardwood Flooring
- Scientific Name, Other Names:
- Description: Lyptus is a trade name for the hybrid of Eucalyptus grandis x Eucalyptus urophylla.The registered trademark is owned by the Brazilian company Fibria
- Janka Hardness: 1,420 pounds
- Strength (MOR): 17,110 psi
- Stiffness (MOE): 2,049 1000 psi
- Density (KG/m3): 850
- Tangential Shrinkage: 12.8 %
- Radial Shrinkage: 8.2 %
- About: Developed for quick harvesting, and grown on plantations in Brazil, Lyptus is marketed as an environmentally friendly alternative to oak, cherry, mahogany, and other wood products that may be harvested from old growth forests. Lyptus trees can be harvested for lumber in approximately 15 years, much sooner than woods from cooler climates.
- Family: Eucalyptus urograndis
- Tree Characteristics: 65-100 ft tall, 3-4 ft trunk diameter
- Geographic Area: Brazil plantations
- Color: Color ranges from light salmon pink to a darker brownish red. Color tends to deepen with age.
- Grain: The grain tends to be straight and even. Also, since the wood is grown and pruned on a plantation, there tends to be few knots or other abnormal grain patterns.
- Texture: Medium texture and small to medium sized open pores.
- Drying Characteristics:
- Working Characteristics: Generally easy to work, though it can burn easily. Glues, stains, and finishes well.
- Durability Rating: Moderately durable in regard to decay rsistance though it is susceptible to insect attack.
- Applications: Flooring, lumber, interior millwork, cabinetry, plywood, and turned objects.
Other Fantastic Species of Wood