Technical specie specifications for Kempas from Fantastic Floor - Discount Exotic and Domestic Hardwood Flooring, Prefinished Solid Flooring, Unfinished Solid Flooring and Engineered Flooring.
Kempas Hardwood Flooring
- Scientific Name, Other Names: Koompassia spp, Thongbueng, Gemaris, Hampas, Nyari, Kempas rawang, Impas (Sabah), Mengris (Sarawak),Tualangun
- Description: Imported from Indonesia and Malaysia, Kempas boasts rich colors and a lustrous appearance. The heartwood ranges from orange-red to reddish-brown with subtly contrasting yellow to pale white tones. The reds of the heartwood also darken with time. This subtle contrast accentuates the shades of each individual piece, which in turn draws the eye to the natural beauty of the wood’s inherent tonal variety.
- Janka Hardness: 1,750 pounds
- Strength (MOR): 17,694 psi
- Stiffness (MOE): 2,698 1000 psi
- Density (KG/m3): 880
- Tangential Shrinkage: 7.4 %
- Radial Shrinkage: 6.0 %
- About: Our Kempas is a popular and economical exotic hardwood. It is available in the following sizes: 11/16" x 3.6" x 1-6' and 11/16" x 4.8" x 1-6'
- Family: Leguminosae
- Tree Characteristics: The Kempas tree can reach heights of 180 feet and diameters of up to 6 feet.
- Geographic Area: Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, Papua New Guinea. Found in lowland forest in swampy areas.
- Color: Orange-red to red-brown heartwood.
- Photosensitivity: Will darken over time.
- Luster: Variable.
- Grain: Interlocked, sometimes wavy
- Texture: Coarse.
- Drying Characteristics: Rated as medium difficult to dry.
- Working Characteristics: Difficult to work, like most tropical hardwoods.
- Durability Rating: Durable except for inground
- Applications: Flooring, decking, outdoor furniture. plywood, sleepers, bridges, wharfage
Other Fantastic Species of Wood