Technical specie specifications for Hevea from Fantastic Floor - Discount Exotic and Domestic Hardwood Flooring, Prefinished Solid Flooring, Unfinished Solid Flooring and Engineered Flooring.
Hevea Hardwood Flooring
- Scientific Name, Other Names: Rubberwood, Plantation Hardwood, Para Rubbertree, Sharinga tree, Arbol de caucho, Sibi-sibi, Mapalapa, Seringuera, Capi, Jeve
- Description: Hevea (Rubberwood) is a light-colored medium-density tropical hardwood obtained from the Para rubber tree (hevea brasiliensis), usually from trees grown in rubber plantations. Hevea is commonly advertised as an "environmentally friendly" wood, as it makes use of plantation trees that have already served a useful function.
- Janka Hardness: 960 pounds
- Strength (MOR): 10,420 psi
- Stiffness (MOE): 1,314 1000 psi
- Density (KG/m3): 595
- Tangential Shrinkage: 5.1 %
- Radial Shrinkage: 2.3 %
- About: Hevea lumber is typically taken from rubber plantations when a tree has reached the end of its useful life and is no longer producing latex; typically around 30 yrs.
- Family: Hevea brasiliensis
- Tree Characteristics: Trees in the wild can reach a height of up to 100ft; plantation trees generally reach heights of 60ft.
- Geographic Area: Originally grown only in the Amazon Rainforest, plantations are now predominantly in South and Southeast Asia, with some in tropical West Africa.
- Color: Heartwood is a light blonde to medium tan color, sometimes with medium brown streaks. Sapwood is not distinct from heartwood.
- Photosensitivity: Hevea tends to darken slightly with age.
- Luster: Hevea has a low natural luster.
- Grain: Grain is straight.
- Texture: Somewhat coarse, open texture.
- Drying Characteristics: Hevea air-dries rapidly; tends to warp and twist in drying unless stickers are closely spaced and the piles are weighted. Fairly stable in service once seasoned.
- Working Characteristics: Easy to work with both hand and machine tools. Glues, stains, and finishes well.
- Durability Rating: The timber is perishable and stains readily. Also, highly susceptible to borer and termite attack as well as powder-post beetles.
- Applications: Furniture, flooring, toys, and kitchen accessories.
Other Fantastic Species of Wood