Technical specie specifications for European Chestnut from Fantastic Floor - Discount Exotic and Domestic Hardwood Flooring, Prefinished Solid Flooring, Unfinished Solid Flooring and Engineered Flooring.
European Chestnut Hardwood Flooring
- Scientific Name, Other Names: Castanea sativa, Sweet Chestnut, Spanish Chestnut, Wormy Chestnut, Portuguese Chestnut, Marron
- Description: With the same look as American Chestnut, now commercially extinct due to the chestnut blight, European Chestnut is the ideal choice to replicate this classic American wood. Chestnut is only recommended for residential use due to its softness
- Janka Hardness: 680 pounds
- Strength (MOR): 10,360 psi
- Stiffness (MOE): 1,248 1000 psi
- Density (KG/m3): 590
- Tangential Shrinkage: 6.9 %
- Radial Shrinkage: 4.2 %
- About: .
- Family: Fagaceae
- Tree Characteristics: The European Chestnut tree can attain a height of 66-115 ft with a trunk diameter of 7 ft
- Geographic Area: Europe and Asia Minor
- Color: Heartwood is a light to medium brown, darkening to a redish brown with age. Sapwood is narrow and well-defined, pale white to light brown.
- Grain: Grain is straight to spiral or interlocked.
- Texture: Texture is coarse and uneven.
- Drying Characteristics:
- Working Characteristics: Overall easy to work with both hand and machine tools. Splits easily, so care must be taken in nailing and screwing the wood. Glues, stains, and finishes well.
- Durability Rating: Rated as durable or very durable, thought susceptible to insect attack.
- Applications: Furniture, veneer, carvings, barrels, roof beams, flooring, fencing
Other Fantastic Species of Wood