Technical specie specifications for Caribbean Rosewood from Fantastic Floor - Discount Exotic and Domestic Hardwood Flooring, Prefinished Solid Flooring, Unfinished Solid Flooring and Engineered Flooring.
Caribbean Rosewood Hardwood Flooring
- Scientific Name, Other Names: Chechen, Chechem, Black Poisonwood
- Janka Hardness: 2,250 pounds
- Strength (MOR): 0 psi
- Stiffness (MOE): 0 1000 psi
- Density (KG/m3): 990
- Tangential Shrinkage: 6.5 %
- Radial Shrinkage: 4.0 %
- About: Because of its density, natural luster, and beautiful coloration, this wood is sometimes referred to as Caribbean Rosewood though it is not a true Rosewood in the Dalbergia genus
- Family: metopium brownei
- Tree Characteristics: 50-115 ft tall, 3-5 ft trunk diameter
- Geographic Area: Dominican Republic, Cuba, Jamaica, N. Guatamala, Belize, SE Mexico
- Color: Heartwood color is highly varied, with red, orange, and brown contrasted with darker stripes of blackish brown. Well defined sapwood is pale yellow
- Photosensitivity: Color tends to shift to a darker reddish brown with age.
- Luster: Good natural luster
- Grain: Grain is usually straight, but may be wild or interlocked.
- Texture: Uniform medium to fine texture
- Drying Characteristics:
- Working Characteristics: Fairly easy to work, glues and finishes well.
- Durability Rating:
- Applications: veneer, furniture, cabinetry, flooring, turned objects, and small specialty wood items.
Other Fantastic Species of Wood