Technical specie specifications for Caribbean Heart Pine from Fantastic Floor - Discount Exotic and Domestic Hardwood Flooring, Prefinished Solid Flooring, Unfinished Solid Flooring and Engineered Flooring.
Caribbean Heart PIne Hardwood Flooring
- Scientific Name, Other Names: Pino, Ocote
- Janka Hardness: 1,240 pounds
- Strength (MOR): 13,340 psi
- Stiffness (MOE): 1,745 1000 psi
- Density (KG/m3): 625
- Tangential Shrinkage: 7.8 %
- Radial Shrinkage: 6.3 %
- About: Although not technically a southern yellow pine, Caribbean Pine is closely related to other pine species found in southeastern United States which are commonly grouped as southern yellow pine.
- Family: Pinus caribaea
- Tree Characteristics: Grows to a height of 100 ft with a trunk diameter of 30-40", occasionally larger. Boles are clear up to 70 ft and with moderate taper.
- Geographic Area: Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Bahama Islands, and Cuba; widely introduced as a plantation species throughout the world (Australia, South Africa, Surinam, and elsewhere)
- Color: Heartwood is reddish brown, sapwoo is yellowish white and is distinct from the heartwood.
- Luster: Medium
- Grain: Typically straight
- Texture: Medium to coarse texture and a greasy feel
- Drying Characteristics:
- Working Characteristics: Works fairly well with most tools, though the resin can gum up tools and clog sandpaper. Glues and finishes well.
- Durability Rating:
- Applications: General light and heavy construction, carpentry, flooring, joinery, utility poles and railroad ties (treated), boat building, vats, pulp and paper products.
Other Fantastic Species of Wood