Technical specie specifications for Capirona / Amazon Maple from Fantastic Floor - Discount Exotic and Domestic Hardwood Flooring, Prefinished Solid Flooring, Unfinished Solid Flooring and Engineered Flooring.
Capirona / Amazon Maple Hardwood Flooring
- Scientific Name, Other Names: Patagonian Maple, Brazilian Maple, Amazon Maple, Capirona Pau Mulato, Mulateiro, Pau Amarelo, Calycophyllum Spruceanum, Firewood tree, Naked tree
- Description: The Capirona tree has a very distinctive appearance due to it smooth and shiny bark. It has the ability to completely shed its bark, which changes from a vibrant green to brown color depending on the time of year. It is common to find Capirona trees growing close to one another. It has small perfumed white flowers. Capirona timber is commonly used in the Amazon for construction and furniture making. It is an exceptionally hard wood which makes it very durable.
- Janka Hardness: 1,820 pounds
- Strength (MOR): 0 psi
- Stiffness (MOE): 0 1000 psi
- Density (KG/m3): 0
- Tangential Shrinkage: 0.0 %
- Radial Shrinkage: 0.0 %
- About: This tree is commonly used by the Kichwa, Kukama and Tikuna tribes for its medicinal properties. The bark is used for cleansing wounds, cuts and burns due to its anti-bacterial qualities. It also has anti-fungal and anti-microbial properties, used for treating skin conditions. The bark is used for treating wrinkles and patchy skin. It is believed to help the skin rejuvenate, as does the bark of this tree. It has been used in the cosmetic industry for its ability to prevent wrinkles, remove discolorations and scars. Also and antioxidant, and known to be used as a repellent and insecticide. This tree is a sacred teacher plant and used by shamans for its curative/spiritual qualities. It can be used as part of a shamanic dieta or as an admixture to Ayahuasca.
- Family: Rubiaceae
- Tree Characteristics: eThe Capirona tree can grow to the forest's canopy and reach a height of 30 meters.
- Geographic Area: Found in the Amazon region of Peru and Brazil.
- Color: When freshly cut, sapwood is creamy white and heartwood is grayish white, light brown streaks. Little contrast between both layers.
- Photosensitivity: Nearly unaffected by light exposure
- Luster: Medium to High
- Grain: Straight and slightly interbred
- Texture: Fine
- Drying Characteristics: Average performance if artificially dried; requires mild setting to avoid risk of cracking.
- Working Characteristics: Moderately easy to saw. Good workability.
- Durability Rating: Good resistance to biological attack, no need for preservation. Long lasting wood, specially when in elements out of reach of the ground.
- Applications: Capirona wood can be used in structures, beams, columns, floors, tool handles, woodwork, sporting goods, sculpture and arcs.
Other Fantastic Species of Wood