Technical specie specifications for Brazilian Hickory from Fantastic Floor - Discount Exotic and Domestic Hardwood Flooring, Prefinished Solid Flooring, Unfinished Solid Flooring and Engineered Flooring.
Brazilian Hickory Hardwood Flooring
- Scientific Name, Other Names: Guajuvira, Brazilian Pecan, Macchiato Pecan
- Description: Guajuvira/Brazilian Hickory is a very durable, hard and resilient wood species (Patagonula americana) with a distinctive contrast of dark and light coloration that makes the perfect choice whether for a rustic look or high end contemporary. Native to Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay, Guajuvira/Brazilian Hickory's coloring consists of white to brown hues in the sapwood and many shades of dark browns and almost black hues in the heartwood. Its grain is a mix of irregular patterns and straight grain and finishes with a satin smooth luster. The wood is moderately photosensitive, will patina slightly as it ages.
- Janka Hardness: 3,540 pounds
- Strength (MOR): 26,500 psi
- Stiffness (MOE): 2,550 1000 psi
- Density (KG/m3): 790
- Tangential Shrinkage: 6.5 %
- Radial Shrinkage: 2.8 %
- About: Fantastic Floor offers Guajuvira/Brazilian Hickory flooring from 1/2" to 3/4" thick, 3" to 5" wide, and up to 7' in length. Guajuvira/Brazilian Hickory is available prefinished in both solid and engineered formats.
- Family: Boraginaceae
- Tree Characteristics: Guajuvira/Brazilian Hickory trees are deciduous and have serrated leaves with white flowers.
- Geographic Area: Guajuvira/Brazilian Hickory trees grow in Brazil, Paraguay, Bolivia, Argentina and Uruguay.
- Color: Guajuvira/Brazilian Hickory sapwood is abundant and is yellow or ocher in color. Guajuvira/Brazilian Hickory heartwood is dark brown or black-brown, sometimes with pink reflections, usually with abundant black veins forming beautiful designs.
- Photosensitivity: Guajuvira/Brazilian Hickory is moderately sensitive to light exposure.
- Luster: Raw Guajuvira/Brazilian Hickory lumber is somewhat glossy and smooth to the touch.
- Grain: Guajuvira/Brazilian Hickory has a fairly straight grain with an irregular pattern.
- Texture: Guajuvira/Brazilian Hickory has a fine to medium texture.
- Drying Characteristics: Guajuvira/Brazilian Hickory lumber is moderate to difficult to dry with a tendency to check if the conditions are drastic. It is best to acclimate engineered Guajuvira/Brazilian Hickory hardwood flooring for 1 week and solid Guajuvira/Brazilian Hickory hardwood flooring for 2 weeks prior to installation.
- Working Characteristics: Guajuvira/Brazilian Hickory is rated as average for workability. The wood of Guajuvira/Brazilian Hickory offers a beautiful surface for varnishing and combines the appearance of European Oak and American Walnut. It is best to keep relative humidity levels in the home between 35% and 50% when installing Guajuvira/Brazilian Hickory hardwood floors.
- Durability Rating: Guajuvira/Brazilian Hickory is a very durable, hard, and resilient species.
- Applications: Guajuvira/Brazilian Hickory hardwood flooring, Luxury Furniture, Doors, Windows and Tool Handles. Please note, prefinished solid Guajuvira/Brazilian Hickory flooring and prefinished engineered Guajuvira/Brazilian Hickory flooring are sold in boxes. Guajuvira/Brazilian Hickory flooring must be purchased in full bundles or boxes.
Other Fantastic Species of Wood