Technical specie specifications for Blackbutt from Fantastic Floor - Discount Exotic and Domestic Hardwood Flooring, Prefinished Solid Flooring, Unfinished Solid Flooring and Engineered Flooring.
Blackbutt Hardwood Flooring
- Scientific Name, Other Names: Coastal Blackbutt, Pink Blackbutt
- Description: Blackbutt is a commonly available commercial hardwood species in New South Wales and southern Queensland, often used for building framework, cladding, flooring, decking, joinery, landscaping, and furniture. Introduced to Oahu, Hawaii in 1911, it has since been planted on all the Hawaiian Islands. Blackbutt is well regarded by foresters for the high quality of timber, easy regeneration, and quick growth.
- Janka Hardness: 1,984 pounds
- Strength (MOR): 20,885 psi
- Stiffness (MOE): 2,756 1000 psi
- Density (KG/m3): 900
- Tangential Shrinkage: 7.3 %
- Radial Shrinkage: 4.5 %
- About: The common name blackbutt came about due to the tree's appearance after bushfire, whereby the buttress - or butt - was significantly darkened. Blackbutt provides good fire resistance and is one of seven hardwood timber species that was found to be suitable for home construction in Australian bushfire areas.
- Family: Eucalyptus pilularis
- Tree Characteristics: A large tree, 120-180ft high with a trunk 2-4ft in diameter. Crown is spreading and open.
- Geographic Area: New South Wales and southern Queensland, Hawaiian Islands
- Color: The heartwood ranges from golden yellow to pale brown, although occasionally a slight pinkish color may be present. The sapwood, which is not always easy to distinguish, is much paler in appearnace and is resistant to lyctid borer.
- Grain: The grain can be interlocked but is generally straight making it appealing for interior use applications.
- Texture: Blackbutt has an even texture
- Drying Characteristics: Slow drying
- Working Characteristics: Blackbutt machines well and can be stained, painted, or polished.
- Durability Rating: Mid to good levels of durability
- Applications: A strong, durable hardwood, blackbutt can be used for a range of structural, exterior and interior applications including framework, decking, flooring, and poles.
Other Fantastic Species of Wood