Technical specie specifications for Australian Cypress from Fantastic Floor - Discount Exotic and Domestic Hardwood Flooring, Prefinished Solid Flooring, Unfinished Solid Flooring and Engineered Flooring.
Australian Cypress Hardwood Flooring
- Scientific Name, Other Names: Barakula Gold, White Cypress, Cypress Pine, Callitris Glauca, Murray Pine, Murray River Cypress, Murray River Pine, Blue Cypress
- Description: Australian cypress is mostly golden colored. It shows a high degree of variation between sapwood and heartwood. Colors range from cream colored sapwood and yellow-gold to brown heartwood. Knots accentuate the wood occasionally with darker colors still.
- Janka Hardness: 1,375 pounds
- Strength (MOR): 11,784 psi
- Stiffness (MOE): 1,242 1000 psi
- Density (KG/m3): 608
- Tangential Shrinkage: 2.6 %
- Radial Shrinkage: 2.4 %
- About: Our Australian Cypress is harvested from the Barakula State Forest in Western Queensland and otherwise known as "Barakula Gold" due to the superior quality of raw material. Australian Cypress is a conifer native to the eastern states of Australia. The distribution of Australian cypress is mostly in inland New South Wales and Southern Queensland. Australian cypress is logged on a sustainable basis as part of the Australian Government's Australian Farm Forestry Program.
- Family: Callitris
- Tree Characteristics: Australian Cypress is a small to medium-sized tree, usually growing to about 18 metres tall, but occasionally reaching 30 metres, and has a straight trunk.
- Geographic Area: Queensland and New South Wales, Australia
- Color: Heartwood ranges from honey-gold to brown with darker knots. Sapwood can be cream or straw-colored.
- Photosensitivity: Australian Cypress will exhibit an ambering effect over time, gaining more of the golden coloring it already possesses.
- Luster: Medium
- Grain: Closed and tight grain with no-thru knots
- Texture: Fine
- Drying Characteristics: Dries Quickly
- Working Characteristics: Australian cypress is easy to machine and sand, but can be brittle. Care shold be taken when nailing. Pre-boring is suggested for this precess.
- Durability Rating: Australian Cypress is very durable and has been known to be resistant to termites.
- Applications: flooring, furniture components, decorative veneers, and cabinetry
Other Fantastic Species of Wood