Technical specie specifications for Afzelia / Doussie from Fantastic Floor - Discount Exotic and Domestic Hardwood Flooring, Prefinished Solid Flooring, Unfinished Solid Flooring and Engineered Flooring.
Afzelia Hardwood Flooring
- Scientific Name, Other Names: Doussie, Afzelia Africana, Afa, Beyo, Lingue, Papayo, Uvala, Pod Mahogany, Aligna, Apa, Azza, Beyo, Bolengo, Kpendei, M'banga, Meli, Mkola, Mussacosa, N'kokongo, Papao, Pauconta, Uvala
- Description: Afzelia, also known as Doussie, is a particularly beautiful and stable wood species. Afzelia is prized for its quality wood, its bark, which has many medicinal uses, and its nitrogen-rich leaves, which enrich the soil. Afzelia's coloring traditionally consists of pale yellow to white hues, while the heartwood ranges from light brown to reddish-brown hues. The beautiful flamed graining is straight and slightly interlocked with a medium natural luster, and the texture is somewhat coarse. Afzelia is very hard and durable, and it has excellent resistance to wear. Because Afzelia wood is so hard and strong, it is among the most valuable exotic hardwood species.
- Janka Hardness: 1,987 pounds
- Strength (MOR): 17,195 psi
- Stiffness (MOE): 1,915 1000 psi
- Density (KG/m3): 810
- Tangential Shrinkage: 0.0 %
- Radial Shrinkage: 0.0 %
- About: Our Afzelia is available in Pre-Finished and Unfinised. It is available in 5/8" and 5/16" thickness.
- Family: Fabaceae
- Tree Characteristics: The tree itself is relatively slow growing and can reach up to 30 meters tall with a trunk up to 2 meters in diameter in a mature specimen. Boles are reported to seldom be longer than 30 feet.
- Geographic Area: Africa - The species is reported to be widespread, and occurs in West, Central and East Africa in dense evergreen forests from Senegal to Sudan and south to Uganda and Zaire. It is also common in the savannah and coastal forests of East Africa.
- Color: The heartwood is orange-brown to golden brown, becoming red-brown upon prolonged exposure, sometimes with darker streaks. The sapwood consists of pale straw or pale yellow to whitish in color.
- Photosensitivity: Color will deepen with exposure.
- Luster: Medium
- Grain: The grain is straight to moderately interlocked, or irregular.
- Texture: The wood has a moderately coarse, even texture.
- Drying Characteristics: The wood is reported to dry slowly with little degrade. Slight checking, distortion, and extension of existing shakes may occur during drying.
- Working Characteristics: Afzelia has good machining qualities, and it sands to a smooth surface. When nailed, it has good holding ability. The wood has satisfactory staining and polishing ability due to yellow deposits in pores.
- Durability Rating: The heartwood is very durable. It is moderately resistant to attack by termites, but is susceptible to attack by powder post beetles. The heartwood is extremely resistant to impregnation or preservative treatment. The sapwood is moderately treatable.
- Applications: Fine flooring, furniture, decking, stair rails, and construction
Other Fantastic Species of Wood