Technical specie specifications for African Magnolia from Fantastic Floor - Discount Exotic and Domestic Hardwood Flooring, Prefinished Solid Flooring, Unfinished Solid Flooring and Engineered Flooring.
African Magnolia Hardwood Flooring
- Scientific Name, Other Names: Magnolia, Kepelan, Magnolia Grandiflora, Manglietia Glauca, Umbrella Magnolia
- Description: Magnolia is one of the lighter hardwood flooring choices available. Its sapwood is creamy, almost white in color and its heartwood is light to dark brown. Purplish and greenish black streaks sometimes can be found streaking through the grain. Typically, the grain is straight, which means there aren't any curves, knots, or whorls that interrupt the wood grain.
- Janka Hardness: 1,360 pounds
- Strength (MOR): 0 psi
- Stiffness (MOE): 0 1000 psi
- Density (KG/m3): 0
- Tangential Shrinkage: 0.0 %
- Radial Shrinkage: 0.0 %
- About: Trees of the Magnolia family have long been used for medicinal applications in Asia. In China, an extract from the bark and seeds is called "hou po" and has been used to treat digestive disorders. The Japanese call it "siaboku-to" amd make a tea that is used to treat anxiety. Magnolia family trees produce magnolol and honokiol, two biphenyl compunds that were determined in 2003 to have significant anti-angiogenesis properties. Magnolia is an ancient genus. Appearing before bees did, the flowers evolved to encourage pollination by beetles.
- Family: Magnoliaceae
- Tree Characteristics: A medium to large evergreen tree which may grow 27.5 (90 ft.) tall. It typically has a single stem (or trunk) and a pyramidal shape. The eaves are simple and broadly ovate, 5-8 in. long and 2-5 in. broad, with smooth margins.
- Geographic Area: South Africa
- Color: Its sapwood is creamy, almost whitei n color and its heartwood is light to dark brown.
- Grain: Straight
- Texture: Moderately Course
- Drying Characteristics:
- Working Characteristics: Easy to work with
- Durability Rating:
- Applications: Furniture, Millwork, Turnery
Other Fantastic Species of Wood