Technical specie specifications for African Cedar from Fantastic Floor - Discount Exotic and Domestic Hardwood Flooring, Prefinished Solid Flooring, Unfinished Solid Flooring and Engineered Flooring.
African Cedar Hardwood Flooring
- Scientific Name, Other Names: African Pencil Cedar, Juniperus Procera, Cedrella, Juniper, Mtarakwa, Mwagnati, Ol Tarakwa, Ugandan Juniper
- Description: African Cedar is nearly 50-70 % whitish-yellow sapwood, which clearly contrasts with the yellow-red to reddish-brown core wood. The timber is somewhat heavier and harder than the American cedar Juniperus virginiana. This fast-growing tree is the largest cedar species in Africa.
- Janka Hardness: 924 pounds
- Strength (MOR): 10,625 psi
- Stiffness (MOE): 1,435 1000 psi
- Density (KG/m3): 480
- Tangential Shrinkage: 0.0 %
- Radial Shrinkage: 0.0 %
- About: Our African Cedar is available in Pre-Finished and Unfinised. It is available in 5/8" and 5/16" thickness.
- Family: Cupressaceae
- Tree Characteristics: The tree is reported to develop tapering boles above a fluted base, and may reach a height of 100 to 120 feet upon maturity, with a trunk diameter of 48 to 60 inches.
- Geographic Area: Africa
- Color: The sapwood is white in color and is clearly demarcated from the heartwood. The heartwood is yellowish-brown, darkening to a warm reddish brown color upon exposure.
- Photosensitivity: African Cedar will darken upon prolonged exposure to light.
- Grain: Grain is reported to be typically straight, but may be spiral, producing an attractive figure on quartersawn surfaces.
- Texture: Fine
- Drying Characteristics: The wood is reported to dry slowly.
- Working Characteristics: The wood is reported to be easy to work with.
- Durability Rating: African Cedar being durable and weather resistant,
- Applications: Parquet, Panels, Pencils, Fences, Cabinets, Home Siding and Roof Shingles
Other Fantastic Species of Wood