Technical specie specifications for Acacia from Fantastic Floor - Discount Exotic and Domestic Hardwood Flooring, Prefinished Solid Flooring, Unfinished Solid Flooring and Engineered Flooring.
Acacia Hardwood Flooring
- Scientific Name, Other Names: Acacia Mollissima, Black Wattle, Burma Walnut, Tan Wattle, Basboom, Shittah, Shittum
- Description: With a beautifully blended assortment of colors, Acacia hardwood flooring is a tasteful choice that exudes an unmistakable air of sophistication, all the while sporting a surprisingly reasonable price tag. Acacia's medium to dark brown heartwood is tinged with vibrant reddish orange and accented with light yellows. Acacia flooring has aesthetic flair and great durability, and would be as complimentary to curling beside the fireplace as it would for a candle-lit tango. How you choose to enjoy it is up to you.
- Janka Hardness: 1,750 pounds
- Strength (MOR): 17,500 psi
- Stiffness (MOE): 2,080 1000 psi
- Density (KG/m3): 540
- Tangential Shrinkage: 7.0 %
- Radial Shrinkage: 3.1 %
- About: Acacia has been used for fine woodwork and construction since antiquity. References are made in The Bible to the Ark of the Covenant and construction of a Tabernacle - see Exodus 25:10 and Exodus 26:15. Acacia hardwood is one of the most popular flooring species available. Fantastic Floor offers Acacia hardwood flooring with thicknesses from 3/8" to 3/4", widths from 3 1/2" to 6", and lengths from 1' to 6'. The lengths of the Acacia flooring planks are typically never longer than 4' because the Acacia tree is essentially only a bush, making the 6' lengths highly sought after.
- Family: Leguminosae
- Tree Characteristics: The Acacia tree can grow to be 20 to 50 ft. high.
- Geographic Area: Acacia trees can be found in South Asia, Middle East and Australia.
- Color: Acacia heartwood is medium to light Brown, Acacia sapwood is light Brown to Tan.
- Photosensitivity: Acacia hardwood flooring is not light sensitive.
- Luster: Raw Acacia wood has a medium luster but Acacia hardwood flooring can be found with finishes that range from low matte to high gloss.
- Grain: Acacia has beautiful swirling grain patterns.
- Texture: Raw Acacia wood is moderately fine & uniform. Acacia hardwood flooring can be finished to provide a surface that is smooth or handscraped to appeal to a variety of tastes and styles.
- Drying Characteristics: Acacia wood is quick drying. It is best to acclimate Acacia Hardwood flooring for 2 weeks prior to installation.
- Working Characteristics: Acacia hardwood flooring is best installed in temperate climates. It is important to keep the relative humidity levels in the home between 35% and 50% for the health and longevity of the Acacia Hardwood flooring.
- Durability Rating: Acacia hardwood flooring is much harder than Red Oak
- Applications: Hardwood Flooring, hardboard, mining props. Please note, unfinished Acacia Flooring is sold in open, strapped bundles and not sold in boxes. Prefinished Solid Acacia flooring and prefinished Engineered Acacia flooring are sold in boxes. Acacia flooring must be purchased in full bundles or boxes. Box and bundle sizes may vary.
Other Fantastic Species of Wood